John L. Hughes
RECONNECTING AMERICA, OAKLAND, CA
Communications Manager, 2010-September 2013
Website Content Manager, 2008-2010
- Responsible for final copy editing, design and production of printed materials with the goal to create a look and feel consistent with publication design criteria.
- Create artwork, both vector and bitmap, for communications projects, both web and print.
- Write, edit and distribute Reconnecting America press releases utilizing Constant Contact.
- Maintain ReconnectingAmerica.org website content, updating daily, writing blog posts and working with contractors to enhance and improve the website’s content management system.
- Maintain Reconnecting America’s social media outreach efforts.
- Design, build and maintain various other websites related to Reconnecting America work, including TCTOD.org, CTOD.org, MITOD.org, LATOD.ReconnectingAmerica.org and Moving2Work.org.
- Manage dedicated web server and domain name registrations.
THE SACRAMENTO BEE, SACRAMENTO, CA
Assistant Editorial Page Editor, 1987-2008
- Edited all editorial, Op-Ed and Forum content in The Sacramento Bee.
- Wrote commentaries, editorial notebooks and editorials.
- Selected, edited and packaged daily letters section.
- Developed web-based database to manage letters and provide automated customer service.
- Tasked with exploring how to expand the opinion section’s online efforts.
- Created website to test feasibility of online ideas.
- Provided tech support for editorial board staff.
- Edited annual California Political Almanac 1989-1996.
Copy Editor, Assistant City Editor, Capitol Bureau News Editor, 1980-1987
- News copy editor, focusing on state politics and government.
- Assistant city editor with responsibility for initial editing of reporters’ copy.
- News editor in The Sacramento Bee Capitol Bureau.
- Adobe Creative Suite, including college-level and advanced online instruction in InDesign, Dreamweaver, Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Website analytic evaluation and search engine optimization.